Maj Gen Steven J. Lepper
US Air Force
Maj. Gen. Steven J. Lepper is Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. General Lepper assists The Judge Advocate General in the professional oversight of more than 2,200 judge advocates, 350 civilian attorneys, 1,400 enlisted paralegals and 500 civilians assigned worldwide. In addition to overseeing an array of military justice, operational, international and civil law functions, General Lepper provides legal advice to the Air Staff and commanders at all levels.
General Lepper was commissioned in 1979 as a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He served for two years as a scientific analyst at the Tactical Fighter Weapons Center, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., until his selection for the Funded Legal Education Program. Since his designation as an Air Force judge advocate in 1984, General Lepper has served in a variety of professional and leadership positions, including five tours as a Staff Judge Advocate. He has had two prior assignments in the Office of the Judge Advocate General; one assignment each in the offices of the Secretary of the Air Force and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; and was a military judge.
Prior to his current assignment, he served as Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
1979 Distinguished graduate, Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics and operations research, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1980 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1981 Master of Public Administration degree, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, Calif.
1984 Juris Doctor, high honors, Duke University, Durham, N.C.
1986 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1991 Master of Laws degree in international and comparative law, with distinction, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
1994 Air War College, by seminar
1998 Distinguished graduate, Master of Science degree in national security strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1979 – August 1981, scientific analyst, Tactical Fighter Weapons Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2. August 1981 – May 1984, student, Duke University School of Law, Durham, N.C.
3. July 1984 – September 1986, Chief, Civil Law Division, Air Force Military Training Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
4. September 1986 – June 1987, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Air Force Human Systems Division, Brooks AFB, Texas
5. July 1987 – July 1990, Staff Judge Advocate, 7020th Air Base Group, Royal Air Force Fairford, England
6. August 1990 – May 1991, student, Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C.
7. June 1991 – May 1993, Chief, NATO Europe Branch, and Chief, Operations Law Branch, International and Operations Law Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, D.C.
8. May 1993 – July 1995, Deputy Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C.
9. July 1995 – July 1997, Staff Judge Advocate, 39th Wing, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
10. August 1997 – June 1998, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1998 – March 1999, military judge, USAF Trial Judiciary, Eastern Circuit, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, D.C.
12. March 1999 – January 2000, executive to the Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. January 2000 – August 2001, Chief, Air Force Executive Issues Team, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. August 2001 – July 2003, Staff Judge Advocate, U.S. Forces Japan and 5th Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan
15. July 2003 – May 2005, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
16. June 2005 – March 2006, Commander, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, D.C.
17. March 2006 – August 2006, Commander, Air Force Legal Operations Agency, Bolling AFB, D.C.
18. August 2006 – April 2010, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
19. April 2010 – present, Deputy Judge Advocate General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Summary of Joint Assignments
1. May 1993 – July 1995, Deputy Legal Counsel to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. August 2001 – July 2003, Staff Judge Advocate, U.S. Forces Japan and 5th Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan, as a colonel
Major Awards & Decorations
Distinguished Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Effective Dates of Promotion
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1979
First Lieutenant May 30, 1981
Captain May 30, 1983
Major March 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 1994
Colonel April 1, 1997
Brigadier General Aug. 4, 2006
Major General April 2, 2010
(Current as of April 2014)Back to Legacy Wall